An Ongoing Appeal to Help New Mainers
First Parish Church is helping with the ongoing process of preparing to welcome over twenty families who will be moving to our community soon.
United Way has hired Maggie Cummings as the Community Response Coordinator to oversee all that is needed to make these families welcome, and church members Priscilla Bizer and Margaret Hutchins.
– An Update from Priscilla and Margaret (2/28/2024) –
Summer will soon be here and Chizzy would like her young children to attend the daily summer camp program provided by the Brunswick Recreation Program.
There is some scholarship money available, which is yet to be determined. The Welcoming New Mainers Team would like to also help financially. If you would like to provide some financial support, please make a check out to First Parish Church and on the memo line indicate it for the New Mainers account.
Please talk with Margaret Hutchins, Priscilla Bizer, Lennie Gray, Bob Beaumont or Annette Mott if you have questions. Thank you. Margaret Hutchins: email@example.com and Priscilla Bizer: firstname.lastname@example.org
MidCoast New Mainers Group (MCNMG) has an exciting new partnership developing with the Brunswick-based Welcome Center, staffed by the Immigrant Resource Center of Maine.
The Welcome Center has asked MCNMG to find volunteers who would like to be job mentors/coaches.
A job coach/mentor will work one-on-one with a New Mainer who is applying for their first job in the US. The job coach/mentor will advise and support one New Mainer through the process of applying, interviewing, and finding a job.
How will being a job coach/mentor work?
- You do not need any special skills.
- (General American work culture and following through with applications are skills all Americans have learned and often taught to their children)
- You will receive training by the Welcome Center employees and experienced volunteers on general procedures and cultural issues.
- You will be supported by the Welcome Center and volunteers as you do this work.
- We expect this work will take 2 – 4 hours a week.
– Priscilla Bizer and Margaret Hutchins